Re: Win 95 remote boot off Linux server

On 11/24/1999 11:22 AM skrishnan@vsnl.com S. Krishnan wrote:
>I checked the archives and found some old traffic on remote booting of a
>diskless Win 95 machine off a Linux server , but nothing conclusive.  I
>would like to know if anyone has achieved this.  Any pointers to other
>sites or information too will be gratefully accepted ...
>TIA and regards, S. Krishnan

Here is a URL for an open source project that may help you do what you
want:

   http://www.bs.ni.schule.de/support/rboot/index.html

Apparently they are using FreeBSD, but it doesn't look like they are
doing anything that would prevent one from using Linux.  Their latest
release is under a BSD style license; They also have an old GPL'd version
available.
They seem to only support a couple kinds of ethernet cards right now, for
which they give ROM images.  They also seem to require the cards to be
set to specific IRQs and addresses, which suggests they are using
netboot. I must play with this sometime and take a look.

Please let us (the list) know if this works for you, and what changes you
might need to make in order to use Linux.

Danke,

-- Marty --

---
        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc@entity.com
                     Web: http://www.entity.com/