Re: Hardware Database?

A few months ago I mentioned that I was interested in setting up a
hardware database for netboot/etherboot.

Since that time I have been (in my spare time) working to get resources
together to make it a reality.

So far I have:

- Created web,mailing-list, and ftp space to house the project.

- Registered thinguin.org as a place put thin client related information.

- Acquired over 100 (mostly ISA) Ethernet cards of various types at the
MIT
  Electronics flea market and from scavenging old machines. The average
cost
  of the cards was < 2$US.

- Purchased a PROM programmer, burned EPROMS, and identified sources
  of affordable EPROMs.

- Built several machines, and tested etherboot/netboot ROMs in them.

I would like to:

- Work with other people who want to document, test and develop additional
  Etherboot/Netboot capabilities.  I'm interested in making it easy for
  people using various Linux/*BSD systems to set up netbooting.

- Brainstorm on how to build thin workstations (with or without hard
disks)
  that take the technology to its limits, using commodity hardware.

- Build interesting client/server systems using open-source (GPL,BSD,
  Creative License,Public Domain, etc.) to see what makes sense from a
  technical standpoint when you don't have to worry about software license
  protection mechanisms.

- Figure out an cost-effective method to make net booting easier
  to do. (e.g. PCI Card with Flash ROM with GPL'd design specification).

- Promote Netboot/Etherboot at Linux trade shows and conventions in the US
  to increase the use of unix-based thin client technology.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm a builder, and I want to build
things, and document them so other people can build them too.

Right now, I see the hardware database as a series of pages documenting
various cards.  To start I don't think we need a database engine.  I have
scanned in pictures of about 20 unique Ethernet cards (at a resolution
where you can read the chip markings in a web browser). Later we can do
mysql/python/perl searching etc.  I can build and allocate a
Linux/FreeBSD machine to this if someone wants to help.

I'd suggest we come up with a form that describes each card (this may
already exist), and how to configure it with Etherboot/Netboot.

Some obvious fields for the pages would be:

- Card Model
- Card Manufacturer
- URL (www and/or ftp) of card manufacturer
- Ethernet Chipset
- Usable EPROMs
- Configuration Utility for card
- Programming Notes
- Etherboot Driver parameters
- Netboot Driver parameters
- Misc. Notes on this card

As I said, I already have space allocated on www.thinguin.org, and have a
listserv set up, though I'd rather talk about things on the netboot list
as long as nobody minds.

So, who wants to help?  Every little bit of information about net booting
and what works will be appreciated.

Send me email if you're interested helping design the layout for the
pages or if you have suggestions.

Here's to exciting times!

-- Marty --

---
        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc@entity.com
                     Web: http://www.entity.com/