Re: Sun ELC diskless client and i386 Linux server

>Yes, I know, that it's a list for i386-clients, so sorry, but we have 12
>Sun SparcStation ELC, without HDD.
>
>Who have some info:
>- where I can get info about this mashine,
>- what need an ELC as boot-file,
>- how and where he search here nfs-root,
>- who use a system with PC-Linux server and Sun ELC diskless client?
>

>More about our system:
>
>Our departement at the University of Pecs have a RedHat 6.0 on an
>Pentium (amirot.jpte.hu).
>We have get 12 mashines without document.
>
>One of the xterminals gets her IP via rarp, he (the ELC) downloads a file
>(tftpboot.img) from the PC's /tftpboot directory, begins a RedHat
>install, but I can't say for the xterminal, that he have search an
>nfs-root on my PC.

Sun network booting uses RARP to get the network address as you have seen,
and then it expects an a.out image via tftp. So don't use tagged format.
There is a package floating around somewhere on the net called xkernel,
I think it started at Columbia U in New York. This is a package that
turns a Sun into an X-terminal, First it was based on SunOS, now there
is a Linux kernel based version of it in metalab.unc.edu I think.

I think a few people on this list have done this so hopefully those
experts will speak up.