mount fails

Hello everybody!

The kernel get its IP via BOOTP.
After mounting the root-filesystem via nfs my diskless workstation
runs init. Init invokes the script rcS (Debian 2.1).

The root-filesystem contains a minimal configuration
(some libs, init, mount, sh->bash, inittab, fstab, rcS).

I inserted some mount commands at the bginning of rcS
so that the full /lib /bin and /sbin directories should be mounted.

These mounts fail.

Message:

portmap server: localhost does not respond

What is the reason for this behaviour?

Thanks for your help.

Michael Hierweck