Re: mount fails

On 09-Oct-99 at 16:56, Michael Hierweck (michael@hierweck.de) wrote:

> The kernel get its IP via BOOTP.
> After mounting the root-filesystem via nfs my diskless workstation
> runs init. Init invokes the script rcS (Debian 2.1).
>
> The root-filesystem contains a minimal configuration
> (some libs, init, mount, sh->bash, inittab, fstab, rcS).
>
> I inserted some mount commands at the bginning of rcS
> so that the full /lib /bin and /sbin directories should be mounted.
>
> These mounts fail.
>
> Message:
>
> portmap server: localhost does not respond
>
> What is the reason for this behaviour?

I don't know about Debian, but usually (Suse, RH) NFS mounts need the
loopback interface (lo) to be configured and the portmap daemon to be
started before they can mount NFS disks.
Thus for diskless operation one needs to insert an appropriate ifconfig +
portmap before the mount call in rcS (and probably remove these calls for
later runlevels).

Norbert