DHCP Proxy

I am using an intel pro/100+ management adapter and linux 2.0 on
a mips machine. The OS came preloaded and I am using the
existing DHCP server. Whenever I try to modify the dhcpd.conf file
It stops working. I suspect that it is for some reason an old pre-
release version of ISC DHCPD.
this is the message I get when I run it.
Internet Software Consortium DHCPD $Name: BETA_5_16.
How do I go about setting up a proxy server that will be PXE
compliant without messing up my original setup? or maybe clues
on sytax for the current version.
Any suggestions for resources?
Karl Nelson