Re: LinkSys LNE100TX Card and EPROM Burner

At 01:01 AM 9/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I checked out the GALEP III Programmer.  $333US over here in the US.

There is one from Needham Electronics for about $150, internal ISA card
with a cable out to a socket.

>I notice
>that the socket on the LinkSys card is a 28 Pin socket.  I also notice that
>the GALEP III Programmer has an accessory "Socket adaptor(s) for 28/32 Pin
>PLCC EPROMs ($149US)".  Is this something I would need?  What does PLCC stand
>for?

Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier.  It is those square chips with leads on all 4
sides.  You find them mostly on the bottom of old IDE drives, but mostly
one-time-programmable (no erase window).  Not usually used on LAN cards
but may be more prevalent in the future?

>Any other alternative burners?  Any build it yourself kits?

There are plans out there to build a programmer that hangs off the
parallel port and uses 9V batteries to generate the programming voltage.
Personally for the $150 I would rather buy the prebuilt ISA model
and get on with other things...
-Dan