Re: LinkSys LNE100TX Card and EPROM Burner

> Hi
>
> I have just bought a few LinkSys (LNE100TX) ethernet card which has an
> EPROM socket.
>
>   1. Has anyone had experience with this card and netboot?  (ie.  Does
>      it work?)
>   2. Any idea what type of EPROMs I should use?  (Brand, model, etc)
>   3. What is a good EPROM burner?  Where would I get one?
>   4. Are there any EPROM burners that work from Linux?

The Type of (E)EPROM depends on how much code you want to program in it.
Normally you need an EPROM of 16k or 32k size (here you can use old chips
from 286/386 motherboards or graphicadaptors). There is normally something
like 27C128 (=128kbit = 16kByte) or 27C256 (32k) written on it. EEPROMs
have a slightly other norm: 29 instead of 27 in the beginning. For EPROMs
you need an additionally UV lamp to erase the old data in the ROM. EEPROMs
can be erased more easely with the programmer.

With the netboot package (0.9) comes a description how to build a
flashcard for ISA slot. We are using an GALEP III programmer but it costs
~250$.

Ciao,
	Dirk