netboot image on hard disk

Has anyone had any success booting with netboot  (image.flo) on a
bootable hard disk partition on the client?  I have a project where this
would be of benifit and would eliminate the need to burn a chip for my
NIC card.  I dd'ed image.flo onto /dev/hda on my Linux disk and it
starts to bootstrap but then gives me "Error reading diskette".
Shouldn't it continue to read from the hard disk or is there something
in the netboot floppy code that specifically looks at the floppy
hardware?  Curious, the netboot INSTALL doc says this can be done.  Any
thoughts?

Richard Schroeder
richard.schroeder@splashtech.com