Re: booting diskless(!) linux-pc from WinNT?

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>Is there anybody how has any experience in remote-booting a several
>diskless(!) linux-PC´s from a WinNT-Station? I think the main problem will
>be NFS on the WinNT-Machine to supply the clients with their root-directory.

Great idea! You don't even need to install a cooling fan for the processor on
your Linux-box, as this will not significantly increase its uptime ;-)
I think the main problem will be, that you have to reboot your NT every time
you change a setting...

I think, you should try to set up a Unix-server for diskless clients. It's hard
enough. And when everything is running, you can try to dip into this crap of NT
and make it run.

Sorry for these words, but a few days I failed to JUST INSTALL the well-known
network card 3c509 on a NT-machine for hours. When I succeeded (already down on
my knees) this system told me, there was not enough memory to start
'server-services'. The machine had 128MB RAM, 512MB virtual memory, over 2GB
free on both NT-partitions. I gave up.

If you choose to use a Unix-System as server, I will give you at least one
programmed boot-ROM for free, perhaps even a network card, if you don't have a
3c509 or 3c905b-TX. Interested ?

Marc

Marc Prager                      .--.
asterius GmbH                   |o_o |