Re[2]: booting diskless(!) linux-pc from WinNT?

Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 10:31:41 AM, Aphichet wrote:

AV> Why booting Linux from WinNT, why not from Linux? I just have only successfully
AV> experience with booting diskless Linux-PC from a Linux-PC.

One reason can be that your clients require you to use NT for backend.

AV> Yes, the main Problem may be NFS on NT machine.
AV> And how can WinNT understand somethings like "symbolic links", Unix file
AV> permission such as -rwsr-xr-x?

Granted, it's a pain but with some work symlinks can be replaced by
copies. Also, you don't have to use NFS - smbfs is known for years.

AV> To run Linux-PC as  X-Terminal you must have a Linux or Unix server in your
AV> network as application server. Only that your Linux box can do just only a
AV> little bit in console (text mode).

I use NT and have X-terminal running just about anything including
full blown AWT Java client (1000+ classes).

Best regards,
 Pavel                            mailto:ptkatcho@portal.ca