Re: Let's play "name that chipset"

>I found a cheap 10/100 PCI NIC marketed by SOHOware, which has the
>following markings on the main chip. Does anyone know what it is, and if
>so, is there an Etherboot or Netboot driver known to work with it?
>
>    MX
>    MX98715AEC
>    M9910
>    TDTA081001
>    TAIWAN

MX is Macronix. Go to www.macronix.com and you will find the data sheet
in PDF for the 98715 and 98715A. According to the vendor and device IDs
listed in tulip.c, it's a Tulip clone.

So you have two tulips, get a few more clones and you will have a
bouquet. :-)

>Thanks for any leads or suggestions -- I am beginning to wonder if we
>might consider setting up a table of cards that are known to work, and
>any special things that needed to be done to make them work.  I'd be
>willing to put some time into such a page.

It would be good if you could set up a page relating chips to drivers,
and not just Etherboot drivers, but Linux and FreeBSD drivers. But you
will probably have to make this page automated, i.e. users submit data
with a Web form, otherwise you will spend all your free time updating it,
because every month I see new boxes from Taiwan or China at the markets
with weird and wonderful chips on them. Fortunately the stall owners
don't mind me opening the boxes and noting the chip numbers.

	Cheers, Ken