Re: bootpd and broadcast dir

>Hi all, I dont know if the subject is clear but I will try to explain it
>:o).
>
>I need that all the machines in the network download the same image from
>the server, this image
>is an MS-Dos one and I don't need an ip assignement. Is possible to make
>a generic entry in the bootptab file
>for all the clients? I need this feature for avoid editing this file
>each time a new client is added, or if a network card
>is changed.

Yes, many bootp servers allow you to specify a default entry which is
used to fill in any parameters not specified for a particular client.

Here's an example from man bootptab:

            # Sample bootptab file (domain=andrew.cmu.edu)

            .default:\
                 :hd=/usr/boot:bf=null:\
                 :ds=netserver, lancaster:\
                 :ns=pcs2, pcs1:\
                 :ts=pcs2, pcs1:\
                 :sm=255.255.255.0:\
                 :gw=gw.cs.cmu.edu:\
                 :hn:to=-18000:

            carnegie:ht=6:ha=7FF8100000AF:tc=.default:

You can specify a filename instead of null for the bf attribute. However
you still need the individual entries that specify the hardware address.

For the ISC dhcpd, you can "inherit" the bootfile attribute from the
surrounding scope.