3com 3c980

I need to be able to netboot a bunch of linux boxes with 3c980 cards
in them.  I went through the steps specified (in the INSTALL file), and
made an image.flo file, and dd'd it to a floppy.  The messages on the
machine look normal when it boots, however, no bootp packets are observed
on another machine on the same network (observed with tcpdump).

It looks like 3com hasn't/won't produce packet drivers for these cards,
so I am forced to use the NDIS drivers.

After mucking about on the 3com ftp site, I found the driver disks
for these cards.  The DOS NDIS driver appears to be called "EL90X.DOS",
with the corresponding INI file "PROTOCOL.INI".  In order to get
makerom to take the INI file, I had to pare it down to the bare
minimum:

[EL90X]
  drivername = EL90X$

I've perused the driver source for this card, and it appears as if the
vendor ID is 0x1b07, and the driver ID is 0x9800.  When prompted for the
minimum and maximum file sizes, I entered -1 (the default, according to
makerom).  The final floppy image size is about half the size of the
NDIS driver.

--
					Gary Jackson
					bargle@umiacs.umd.edu