Re: 3c590 problem (?) + Loader Error 20

Hi Theodoropoulos,

> xxxxx bootpd[329]: vendor magic field is 99.130.83.99
> xxxxx bootpd[329]: sending reply (with RFC1048 options)
> xxxxx bootpd[329]: setarp yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> And then nothing, the client doesn't do anything, tftp doesn't start, and
> the boot sequence stops there...
These bootpd output seems to be ok. On my machine (also SuSE 6.1), te
setarp line is the last one I get from bootpd before in.tftpd is invoked
and transfers the image.

> My /etc/bootptab must be correct (i've read the man a hundred times...)
> The image is in /tftpboot and has the proper permissions (actualy ugo+wrx
> for testing)
>
> ++WHAT IS WRONG ????++
>
> By the way, arp gives the following output: (in case it helps you)
> Address         HWtype    HWaddress    Flags    Iface
> yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy           (incomplete)          eth0
When did you type the arp command? I get only an output with the full
HWaddress directly after bootpd printed setarp. A few seconds later I
get also the (incomplete) entry. So, the arp settings might be ok.
Are you shure that in.tftpd is invoked and running?
I would run a tcpdump and look on the output which were the last packets
received and transmitted. This helps often a lot, e.g. if there were no
packets of type "tftp", then something is wrong with the tftpd server.

> By the way, i tried two other Network Cards
> +a NE2000 compatible (ISA),
> +and a RTL8029 compatible (PCI)
> They BOTH passed the setarp stage, and tried to begin tftp (!), BUT
> netboot gave an "Loader Error 20". I know it has sth to do with mtools
> (it is in the docs) but WHAT??, and evenmore HOW can resolve it?
no, MCOPY does not mean the mtools copy command, but the mcopy()
function that is used in the sources of netboot.
I had the same problem "Loader Error 20" some time ago. If I remember
right, I mixed netboot 0.9 and 0.8.1 and tried to load an image created
by netboot 0.9 with a loader from netboot 0.8.1, but unfortunately I am
not shure.
SuSE Linux 6.1 ships with netboot 0.8.1. Are you shure that it is not
installed and that you are only using netboot 0.9?

Hope this helps,

Georg