Etherboot probe failure with 3c509B

I've been having a lot of problems with Etherboot
failing to detect the NIC in my diskless industrial
ISA bus PC.

The symptom is screenfuls of "probe fail" messages
on bootup followed by "no adaptor found" message.

The NIC otherwise works correctly in the same
machine with various OSes, and a commercial boot
prom works correctly (same prom size).

It is a 233MHz MMX derivative in a ISA only passive
backplane machine.
I am using Etherboot32 ver 4.2.2

Has anybody else got or seen this problem?

--
Steve