Re: Netboot with DEC DC21140 Network-Card

Tobias Wolf:

> Hi there !
>
> Does anyone also have problems with this card ?
>
> I have compiled the Kernel for the Client with all
> necessary things (tcp/ip, nfs, root over nfs and the
> tulip driver(v0.89) ).
>
> the point there it wants to mount the root
> filesystem. It only prompts:
>         NFS-Server (191.168.1.1) not responding, still trying.
> While booting i monitored eth0: on the server.
> I saw the bootp-request and how the bootimage was sent,
> but no nfs-request from the client.

I experienced the same problem with a  + x.1 newer
hardware version of a 21143 card made by the same taiwanese
manufacturer.
While the
"tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov"
driver of SuSE 6.0 worked fine with the older hardware,
the kernel showed your error message with the newer HW.
With a newer
"tulip.c:v0.90p 2/18/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov"
driver it worked. Btw, I had to download the driver by ftp.
Downloading it by Netscape it didn't compile. Copy tulip.c to your
clients /usr/src/linux-2.0.36.SuSE/drivers/net
dir and make a new client kernel.

Gruss,
                    roro

   NNNN   NNNN      roland rohde
 NN     N     NN    mailto:roro@artificial-organs.de
NN      N  NN  NN   Leibniz Research Labs for Biotechnology
NN      N      NN   and Artificial Organs (LEBAO)
 NN     N     NN    http://www.artificial-organs.de
  NN         NN     Hannover Medical School (MHH)
    NN              http://www.mh-hannover.de
      NN   LEBAO    Department of Cardiovascular Surgery