Re: Computer is restarting when i put bootrom into netcard.

Jan Blunck writes:
 > Use rom-scan from etherboot to look if you can see the bootrom. There
 > are several NE2000 PCI -Clone with layout design fault's. I got myself
 > 2 Realtek 8029 PCI-Cards that are working fine with no bootrom enabled
 > but not working with bootrom because you can only "see" a part of the
 > bootrom.

This would have been my initial suggestion, but his problem is a
little more tricky, because the machine keeps rebooting before he even
has a chance to run rom-scan. Of course, there is an easy and obvious
work-around for this (just connect the ROM's chip-select or
output-enable pin to an external switch; boot with the ROM disabled;
then enable it and run rom-scan), but most people don't feel like
taking a soldering iron to their new NIC. Personally, this is what I'd
do, but few people share my believe that computer hardware is
virtually unbreakable -- and if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway ;-)

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-544-4762

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature