netboot question

Hello, I'm working on an operating system project with a couple of
friends.  Currently, we are using a custom network booting system,
but I'm considering moving to Etherboot since it seems a bit more
featureful.  I've read the documentation about booting and such,
but have not been able to find any information about things like
the state of the machine when the boot image gains control like
whether the machine is in real or protected mode, where the image
is loaded, at what offset the bootloader calls into the image, etc.
Where can I find such information?

Thanks,
sc