etherboot and fiber-cards

Hi,

this is my problem:

I am trying to set up a diskless PC that boots over a fiber network.  I
have successfully  used etherboot before with a twisted pair network and

using eepro100B cards.

Now I have a  AT2450FL (10 MB fiber ethernet card).  It is based on
the  79C970A lance chip.   And indeed, on "regular" linux distributions
ethernet is simple to configure, both using the lance driver
and the more specific pcnet32 driver.

However, when it comes to etherboot, it doesn't work.
The configuration is straightforward, but the booting stops
after the  message:
-----------------------
Probing... [LANCE/PCI]
PCnet/PCI-II 79C970A base 0xd000, DMA 5, addr 00;00;F4;C9;24;45
Searching for server...

-----------------------
The blank line indicates a lineshift.  But then it stops.

BTW, "normally" (f.ex. if the HW address is wrong),
it should give a few lines with  <sleep>  and then end
with "No server found".   But this does not happen in our system-setup.

Any ideas why ?  Suggestions on how to make the card work are very
welcome.

Another option is to get a new card, so can anyone recommend a fiber
network card (10Mb)
that *has* been tested with etherboot ?

Thank you for your time and help
-christophe Birkeland