We should not force people to post in English

There is no reason to demand that people only post in English, *especially*
for an international list.  The initial dominance of a language does not
justify its further domination.  Non-English speakers do not have to be
marginalized in the cause of internationalism.

One downside of Udo's posting in German is that his audience is restricted,
so he may not receive an answer, but a restricted audience is better for Udo
than no audience at all.  Recipients who do not speak German may be annoyed
that they receive email that is of no consequence to them.  However, this
problem of getting information to the right people, and only the right
people, occurs frequently with the Internet.  We should either accept it as
a fact of modern life or look for technological solutions.  This policy
(dare I say political?) solution that demands all posts be in English only
reduces our awareness of the problem-- it does not solve anything.

Oscar Stiffelman,
Stanford University Computer Science Department, Masters Student in AI,
stiffelman@cs.stanford.edu