Re: flashcard

Hello,

Thomas M. <oz2afo@image.dk> wrote:
>  I've been looking at the flashcard design, that comes with netboot. It
> looks interesting, and i'm going to build one. But As I can get the smd
> version of the 29f010 virtualy free (in company components, and the dil
> version costs arround 20$ from an external suplyer), i'm going to make a
> new board design in all smd, incorporating a bootprom disable button (in
> case you get burned a faulty bootimage into the flash).

I would be very interested in including your SMD design into the netboot
packet, so if you are going to publish it under the GNU license please let
me know!

> However i can't
> seem to figure out, why there is that LS245 in the design? The flashprom
> has tri-stated output's, so it shouldn't be necesary to put another
> (bi-directional) buffer on to the board also.

As far as I remember, the output power of the flash EPROM is not sufficient
to drive a full ISA bus. In nowaday systems there are usually only one or
two ISA slots, but I've already used FlashCard in systems with 8 ISA cards
installed.

gero.

--
Q:  How many Pentium designers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:  1.99904274017, but that's close enough for non-technical people.