Re: CAN bus netboot

Sorry, I do not understand your statement regarding CAN specifications.
If we speak about Controller Area Network, you can buy ready-made
silicon for a few dollars (uC with integrated CAN below US$ 5). You
are free to use the chips without the need for any further license in
your applications. CAN is an ISO standard (ISO 11898), so you may
get the official document from there. But the specification is also
available from some semiconductor manufacturers.

There are different protocol implementations based on CAN, and these
are sold by the developers. License cost varies, but remember this
is for a piece of software, neither for CAN nor the specification.
You are free to develop this code on your own, if you prefer.

Of course it is possible to put a TCP/IP protocol stack onto CAN,
however this is not used very much - CAN is used in the automotive
and industrial automation field, and the applications taking
benefit from CAN mostly use other protocols.

Please feel free to contact me, if you need more information on
CAN.

Best regards,

Thomas Wuensche