Re: CAN bus netboot

Thomas Wuensche writes:
 > Of course it is possible to put a TCP/IP protocol stack onto CAN,
 > however this is not used very much - CAN is used in the automotive
 > and industrial automation field, and the applications taking
 > benefit from CAN mostly use other protocols.

Can you give a brief description of how TCP/IP is implemented on CAN?
I always thought the the main advantage of CAN was the automatic
collision detection/resolution that was implemented in hardware. To a
certain extent, this also buys you some guarantees about the available
bandwidth for each different type of service. My understanding is,
that this requires specially formated device IDs at the beginning of
each datagram. Do IP packets get encapsulated within CAN packets or do
people forgo the advantages of the CAN protocol and directly send IP
frames (or more likely, ethernet frames) onto the wire?

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-544-4762

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature