Kingston KNE30T and Netboot ROM

I've been using Netboot on floppy to great effect - triffic stuff and
many thanks to the authors.

So, being (over) confident I thought that I'd get a ROM blown and do
away with the floppies so the machines (linux based X-Terminals) are
truly diskless.

I used netboot (0.8.1) to produce a floppy and ROM image (using the
packet driver supplied by Kingston for the card).  The floppy image
works but the ROM doesn't :-(

I produced the ROM image in Intel HEX format, had it blown into a 32K
ROM (27C256Q120).  Put the ROM into the KNE30T card and it's just
ignored.  There's no messages and no attempt at booting :-( I tried
disabling and disconnecting the floppy in case it was taking priority
but that makes no difference.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong? and what I can do to
get a bootrom working for these cards.

--
 Regards,
     Russell