Re: Question

Hello,

Aaron Gage <agage@riemann.mines.edu> wrote:
> When run with the diagnostic tools compiled in, I get the following
> hex values dumped when I try to boot;
>
> 45 00 01 48 00 01 00 00 FF 11 BA A4 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00 44
>                --                ==
>
> The number with the -- below it increments with each packet, and the
> number with the == below it decrements with each packet.
>
> My hub shows that the packets are being sent by both machines properly.
> The problem seems to be in receiving it on the diskless side.

I assume that the first character on each line printed by pktwatch is a 'S',
and there is no line with a 'R' in the first column, right? The line above
looks correct for a sent packet. If you don't get any other lines than these,
it is very likely that your packet driver didn't receive any packets. I've
heard about this problem in the past with some cheap NE2000 cards: packets
get sent out correctly, but the packet driver doesn't receive anything, and
therefore can't pass anything on to the bootrom. I assume that the packet
driver you are using is not fully compatible with your network card for
some reason (very likely it has something to do with hardware interrupt
handling). Does your network card come with it's own packet driver? If
yes, you should try to use that. Otherwise, take a look at the FTP or Web
servers of the card manufacturer. Sometimes, you can find working drivers
even from manufacturers of those cheap cards. If you are still unlucky,
try to use the packet driver under plain DOS and check that it really works,
for example when using PC/TCP or some other DOS TCP/IP stack. It is especially
important with the Crynwr packet drivers (those provided with netboot) that
you specify a correct hardware interrupt number.

gero.

--
The experimenter who does not know what he is looking for will not understand
what he finds.			- Claude Bernard