Re: NFS notice message result =-101

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Michael Greiner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem....
>
> I tried to setup a diskless client. Everything works fine, but I cannot
> shutdown the client.  I always get the error Message from the nfs
> client: nfs notice message result= -101. But before I always get an
> error message: nfs silly_rename cleanup error. But I do not know, what
> this means.
>
> Can anybody help me??

I was getting the same thing while trying to set up diskless workstations
based on RedHat-5.1. The problem is that the system will shutdown the
network before it is done with the root filesystem. To get around that
(and some other nasty problems) I have since set the clients up to put the
root file system in a ramdisk. It does consume quite a bit of RAM, but I
have gotten that down to about 8 megs, and probably could get it down a
bit lower with some work. The clients get their network information from
bootp (a second bootp request once the kernel is loaded) and I am working
on having them authenticate via NYS. All in all it is working out pretty
well, though there are some bugs to be worked out. If you want to see how
I did this, I would be glad to show you.

Horace Demmink
PathWay Computing