Re: Computer doesn't detect netboot on EPROM at boot-time.

Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah writes:

 > Hi:
 >
 > I'm using a 3Com's 3C905-TX PCI LAN card on a MediaGX based PC.  I
 > have netboot installed on an EPROM and placed it on the LAN card.
 > Netboot on the LAN card works when I use it on other PCs, but it
 > doesn't on the MediaGX PC.  It says "operating system not found".
 > Booting using netboot on a floppy works fine on the MediaGX PC
 > though.
 >
 > What could be the problem?  Could it be due to the BIOS, or the PCI
 > riser card?  Please help.

Use romscan (it comes with the "etherboot" distribution) to check
whether the card can be found. If it is not found, then you probably
have a hardware problem or a configuration problem (e.g. the network
card might have to be configured to enable the ROM socket).

If romscan finds the card just fine, then you most likely have a BIOS
problem. If you have a modern BIOS, you might work around the problem
by implementing PnP style ROM headers for the boot prom --- while this
is actually not very difficult to do, AFAIK it has not yet been
implemented for either "etherboot" or "netboot".

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-278-0137

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature