Re: ERROR: invalid header ...

Hi !

The last days, I did download the netboot-packet again, kompiled a new
kernel for the nic, made mknbi on it, and now it works. I don't know why,
and I don't know what I did in a different way the last time (and I don't
care about that any more ;-))) ).
Thanks for your willing to me, all of you who re-mailed me.

Now I'm working on the NFS. I read the NFS-ROOT-CLIENT mini-howto, but
some skripts are on different places. I do have the SuSE 5.1. Could
anybody, who has SuSE, too, mail me his client-dirs and the modified
initskripts ? That would be a great help for me! The nic is hanging while
the init although it has IMO all needed skripts/binaries.

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Ken Yap wrote:

> Hmm. I'm very puzzled. The only reasons I can think of now are:
>
> + You are running mknbi on a non-PC and mknbi has endian problems. But
> I don't believe this. However you can check the format of the bootImage
> against the spec, at least the first 512 bytes.

Nice imagination that I would have the money for an Alpha ...

> + There is a problem with tftpd. You can try tftp to the server and
> fetch the file and compare it with the original.

It was exactly the same.

> + There is a problem with the bootrom code. If this is Etherboot, it is
> always possible a bug exists and I would like to know about it. Sorry,
> I forgot if you were using Netboot or Etherboot. Please send more details
> about the exact messages printed out when netbooting.

It is netboot, and the only message was:
ERROR: invalid haeder

Okay, Thanks again.

Martin