Re: daemon-problems

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Martin Joachim Wolf wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm trying to set up a diskless linux client, but I've got some problems
> with the daemons. I tested booting with the "netboot-patched floppy", and
> the client seems to send his requests.
> But I cannot detect any reactions of the server.
> I installed  NFS, exported the important directories (okay, I'm also new
> on NFS, so this could be another problem, but this should appear later!
> ;-)))  ), and set up the bootpd.
> But I could  not detect him working; I started it "by hand" - even
> twice at the same time - no reaction.
> And then tftpd: in  /etc/services  tftp seems to be provided (SuSE 4.4.1):
> Do I also have to install the tftpd? And how? (Step-by-step?)
> And I couldn't even find tftpd at  sunsite's :-(((
>
> Is there a possibility to controll the network? (I'd like to know whether
> the requests of the client reach the server or not)
>
> Many question, right? But I hope you can help me get it working.
> Thanks
> Martin

To check what is happening, you could start bootpd by hand with debugging
on and it will report any incoming packets. If that doesn't work, try
tcpdump and watch the bootps port. If you get nothing, check the cabling.

There are some setup notes in

	http://www.slug.org.au/diskless.html

Get the services working in this order: bootp, tftp, NFS. Do not
proceed until you have the current service working.

There is a tftpd in the Etherboot distribution in source form.