Re: EPROM speed question

>Hi all,
>
>I have managed to get a 16k boot image run from a floopy -- everything
>works fine. After burning the image.rom into a 27128 EPROM and plugging it
>into my NE2000 clone (yes, it allows 16k), the client didn't recognize the
>presence of the PROM and booted from the local disk. With DEBUG I found
>out that the PROM did not appear at the memory location I had specified in
>the NE2000 setup (D8000); all it reads there is 0xFF. If I remove the PROM
>from the card, DEBUG reads 0x80 from those locations.

It's more likely you are decoding the wrong part of the EPROM or there
is a clash with existing memory or you have not told the EMS driver to
exclude those locations. Normally blank areas read as 0xFF.

I am using 250ns EPROMS on my 3c509 NICs on a 386 and a 486. They work
perfectly. I have this 450ns EPROM which still reads fine on a 16MHz
286. I suspect NICs insert wait states for access to onboard EPROMs so
that they are less dependent on motherboards. However as a rule of thumb
it should be safe to use EPROMs at least as fast at the BIOS (E)EPROMs.