Can netboot run on NT?

Hi,

This question probably gets the gold medal in the stupidity olimpics,
but if anyone can give me some answers or pointers I will be very
thankful.

Can Netboot or some variation be run from an NT workstation (not
server)? I have a need to configure a setup of two PC's. One is
diskless and runs DOS. Probably Caldera OpenDos. The other runs
NT workstation and the goal is that at boot time it passes the
DOS boot files to the diskless. Actually both PC motherboards are
in one case and work together as a single product. They are linked
by a NE2000 clone card on each motherboard. The cards can support
16k Eproms and beyond.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I would like to
stay as close to Netboot as possible.

Thanks in advance,

George

At 12:44 AM 2/20/98 GMT, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Jin-Soo <JamesKim@mobinics.com> wrote:
>> What's "Do you want the bootrom to look for boot drives first(Y/n)?"
>> for?
>
>The bootrom can look for installed boot drives in your client before
>atempting a network boot. In this case, if you have say a bootable
>partition on your hard disk it will be started instead of the netboot
>bootrom. The netboot process only starts if you don't have any bootable
>media installed, if you answer this question with "Y". Answering this
>question with "n" will always startup the netboot bootrom regardless
>if you have a bootable hard disk or not.
>
>> In case of realtek driver, requested only command line option. So I
>> gave packet_int_no. (I catched this executing driver in dos). How do
>> you think? Now am I correct for making bootimage?
>
>After entering the pathname to the packet driver, you have to enter all
>the command line options which you normally give it when running the driver
>from DOS. If your packet driver only requires a packet_int_no, just give
>it on the command line.
>
>> But when I booted using this image, I've met "DOS: no free mem."
>> message. What's wrong with this?
>
>When does this message appear? Before or after the packet driver has been
>started? How large is your packet driver? The memory available to the DOS
>simulator within the bootrom is about 50 kB. This message should only
>appear if your packet driver is larger than this.
>
>gero.
>
>--
>The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is
>enough until we know what is more than enough.		- William Blake
>--
>Gero Kuhlmann, Hannover     0511/6497525 (Voice)        gero@gkminix.han.de

George Blat                 georgeb@brd.com
BRD Corp - 8016 188th SW, Edmonds, WA 98026
Phone:     425-775-7475
Fax:       425-670-8553
toll free: 800-565-7234