Re: netboot with intel eepro100 card

Hello,

Mogens Dam <dam@lscf.nbi.dk> wrote:
> I am confused over the packet driver stuff. I tried the intel driver
> diskette, and found something called e100bodi.com. I thought that
> might be the right thing. (Can anybodi explain me, what is an ODI
> driver?).

ODI is a different standard than Packet Driver for communicating
with the network driver. ODI drivers presently don't work with
netboot. I'm working on a way to use them as well but don't expect
anything within the near future due to severe shortage of spare
time on my side...

The problem with the Intel EtherExpress 100 MBit cards is that Intel
issued a packet driver only for the ISA card, not for the PCI card.
It might be that you can use it for the PCI card as well when you
have a PCI BIOS which can automatically allocate the resources used
by the network card. However, I have no positive report for this even
though I think it should work. You can get the packet driver from
Intel's ftp site.
If the EtherExpress is included onboard on your mainboard you might
take a look at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/beowulf/PR440FXNetboot.html
which explains how to use those onboard EtherExpress interfaces and
even program netboot into the onboard flash memory.

The Crynwr packet driver for the EtherExpress will probably not work
as it is meant for the 10 MBit cards, but you might simply give it a
try.

gero.

--
I'm growing older, but not up.