named pipes over NFS?

We don't have the problem with wrong major and minor numbers to devices,
but we don't get the named pipes to work over NFS and we got some really
strange problems when the named pipe /dev/initctl works as an ordinary
file...

We use a Sun Sparc U1 with solaris 2.6 as NFS server and have linux redhat
5.0 on our clients.

If I do "mknod foo p" on a linux client with NFS-root, foo looks lika an
ordinary file (both from the client and from the server). If I do "mknod
foo p" on the server, foo looks like a named pipe on the server
and a character device with minor and major to 255!

Does anybody have the same problem? What to do? We don't want to use a
linux machine as NFS-root server.

Thanks in advance.

/Erik

Erik Starbäck                          E-mail address: erik@math.uu.se
Uppsala University                     Telephone:Authoritative      +46
184713277
Department of Mathematics              Cellular phone: +46704250260
P. O. Box 480                          Fax:            +46184713201
SE-751 06  UPPSALA
Sweden