Re: passwords and commandline options

Hello Markus,

At 12:57 AM 1/24/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Thus it is more reliable to not type in the data on your terminal, but
>to use the output from some other command. Usually you will do
>something like this:
>
>  echo -n Penguin | md5sum

Thanks.  It's just all these Unix commands i'm having to relearn.

>Etherboot builds a kernel command line (that is the same thing that
>you usually enter at LILO's prompt) by obtaining information from
>different sources and concatenating all of it together. Part of this
>information is the additional commandline that you specified when
>building the image, some other part is the "cmdline" field in your
>bootptab, and yet another one is the (optional) data that the user
>types in interactively after picking an load image from the
>menu.

Right.  I didn't realized that when you use mknbi-linux you can
supply the kernel command line arguments as well.  Hmm, i don't
think i saw another prompt after selecting a boot image to load
from the menu screen.  I'll have to check this again.  I recall
that once selecting an entry from menu, the system immediately continued
bootstraping to OS.

>Entering "5" or "3" in the "cmdline" field in your bootptab will give
>you this behavior.
>
>Markus

Great!  Thanks again!  I'll remember this next time i start LILO.

Best regards,

-gshin