Re: passwords and commandline options

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1

--Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1

Hi George,

 > At 07:04 PM 6/25/97 +0200, you wrote:
 > How is the commandline option actually specified and used by
 > the Etherboot's bootprom kernel?  Are the commandline options
 > specified in the bootptab file somewhere?
 >
 > So if you have a single bootimage file that embedds two
 > distinct tagged boot image files, then the bootprom kernel
 > will use the command line option provided and pick a correct
 > tagged boot image from this "container file" and let the
 > BIOS boot out of it?  The "container file" would get pretty
 > large i would think.

you are thinking far too complicated. In fact, I do not even
understand exactly what you were trying to do. Etherboot uses a rather
simple extension to the BOOTP format for passing command line
parameters. This is an excerpt from the README.VendorTags file:

--Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1

  TAGS 192 thru 207
        these tags  define all of  the valid boot images  and override
        any settings  that are given  with the "bf" bootfile option in
        your "bootptab".  It is  allowed to leave   gaps in the  list.
        This has an    impact on  how the   `default'  image will   be
        selected.

        All entries are of the form
            label:server:gateway:filename:passwd:flags:cmdline
        For   future extensibility,  it   is  permitted  to  append an
        arbitrary amount of  other colon seperated  entries as long as
        the limit  of    255 characters   per  tag  is  not  exceeded.
        Non-existant entries can be   left empty. This means  that the
        default value for this particular entry will be used. Trailing
        colons can be omitted.
          label   - this is the text string  that is  displayed to the
                    user.  It can contain arbitrary characters, except
                    for  a   colon.   Embedding  arbitrary     control
                    characters  is  not recommended, but  you might be
                    able to include  ANSI escape sequences (if enabled
                    in the ROM) for  changing text attributes as  long
                    as you restore the  attributes  at the end of  the
                    string.  It probably does not make very much sense
                    to leave this entry empty.
          server  - IP  number of the TFTP server, where the image can
                    be found.   This  data has to   be in decimal form
                    (e.g. 192.168.0.1); it  is not permitted to use  a
                    hostname. It is the responsibility of the "bootpd"
                    to look up  hostnames.  If this entry is  omitted,
                    then the BOOTP server  will  be used for the  TFTP
                    download.
          gateway - use this IP gateway, when accessing the boot image
                    by TFTP. If no  value is given, the BOOTP  gateway
                    or alternatively the  first  entry in the  list of
                    gateways "gw" is used.
          filename- name of the boot image  that  has to be  loaded by
                    TFTP.  If this entry  is omitted, then the machine
                    boots  locally  from  disk.   If   enabled in  the
                    BOOT-Prom, you  can specify pseudo-filenames   for
                    booting   from   a   local  blockdevice   (floppy,
                    harddisk, ...);  these filenames have to match the
                    pattern "/dev/[fh]d*".   If the BOOT-Prom does not
                    have support for  these  pseudo-filenames, you can
                    still  boot from blockdevices   by storing an boot
                    image as  generated by mknbi-blkdev under the name
                    of  the  desired blockdevice  (symbolic links will
                    do).
          passwd  - MD5 message digest of the password.  If this entry
                    is   omitted, then no    password is  required for
                    optional and might  not  be compiled into the  ROM
                    image. For generating the  MD5 message digest, you
                    can  use   freely    available  tools    such   as
                    "md5sum".  C.f.  the  flags entry  for controlling
                    the behavior of passwords.
          flags   - flags are used for controlling some aspects of how
                    the BOOT-Prom code behaves. All flags are a string
                    of decimal  digits followed by  a letter; multiple
                    flags can  be   concatenated.  If this  entry   is
                    omitted,  then  a  default   value  of "1i1p"   is
                    assumed. Currently, these flags are defined:
                      0i - booting  this  image  does  not  require  a
                           password;  the   contents of   the password
                           entry is ignored  unless some other feature
                           (such as the flag "2p") requires it.
                      1i - booting this image requires a password.  If
                           the  password  entry    is omitted,  or  no
                           password   support   is available in    the
                           BOOT-Prom, then this flag is ignored.
                      0p - the  user cannot enter   a command line for
                           passing  parameters  to  the loaded  image,
                           even if this feature  has been enabled when
                           compiling the BOOT-Prom. N.B. this does not
                           affect  the cmdline  entry  as    described
                           below!
                      1p - the user  does not get prompted for passing
                           parameters to the loaded  image, but he can
                           explicitly  request the   prompt (e.g.   by
                           pressing a modifier  key while selecting an
                           image from  the   menu).  If the   password
                           entry is not omitted, then the password has
                           to be entered.   Both parameter passing and
                           password validation   can be  disabled when
                           compiling the BOOT-Prom.
                      2p - the  user always gets prompted  for passing
                           parameters   to the  loaded   image. If the
                           password  entry  is   present and  password
                           support  has been enabled in the BOOT-Prom,
                           then the password has to be entered.
                      3p - the  user always gets  prompted for passing
                           parameters to the loaded image. No password
                           is required.
          cmdline - the contents of this  entry is appended to the end
                    of the command line that gets passed to the loaded
                    image.  This  feature   is unaffected  by the  "p"
                    flags.  Passing parameters currently does not make
                    sense for any  operating  system other than  Linux
                    and  is  silently   ignored for  other   operating
                    systems.  As it is  not legal  to enter colons  as
                    part   of an entry, you    have to escape them  by
                    writing  '~c' instead.  This  also means, that all
                    tilde characters have to   be escaped by   writing
                    '~~'.  As some  bootp  daemons  do  not  allow for
                    entering a backslash  in  a character string,  the
                    escape   sequence    '~b'    inserts  a  backslash
                    character.   Currently, all other escape sequences
                    are undefined.

--Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1

If you need a more detailed description of this feature, feel free to
ask. As general rule, "etherboot"'s behavior is modelled to copy the
behavior that LILO exhibits.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1--

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM7GzOBqJqDLErwMxAQG6vgP+NlJbAyqzFfQ7dfFGO7fZj3KwKmbKmyIS
J04waF3qEdIpgUgLPlYjqjNBAHjr0OBu6EoCYWR57IrJUIADaWGG/oTsoj5pKdQH
oYmzeelw/mbqB5c2hg4u/eswz/8JxZRe04mjFJP5AjbvVHGzK7Th7a8vsltedxow
+EHKZt08wDo=
=AJ3g
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jun_25_17:09:24_1997-1--