Re: FYI: Etherboot memory map -- stack problem.

Ken Yap writes:
 > I wasn't aware that the 32 bit was putting the stack at A8000. Are you
 > sure about this (the A8000, this is in the middle of video memory)?
 > The Sp should be up in 9FF00 or so to give maximum room to the code to
 > run in.

If the stack is within the video RAM that is clearly a mistake.

 > I believe there should only be one stack. There is only one thread in
 > the code.

I second this. Having two stacks wastes valuable memory space.

 > If 32kB is not enough for the code, try lowering RELOC to say A4000
 > which will give 48kB.

Please note though, that the image format description at
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~slugeb/etherboot/doc/html/spec-4.html
requires to leave 10000 thru 98000 available for loaded boot images.

 > By the way I'm cleaning up 3.2 to create 4.0 by the end of the month.
 > Mainly installing patches and removing dead code from the sources.
 > Markus, can PRIORIZEBOOTPKERNEL be removed? In fact, can
 > BOOTPKERNELONLY be made the default?

This is fine with me, but I would like input from other users on the
list. Does anybody require an option other than BOOTPKERNELONLY?

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature