Re: FW: FYI: Etherboot memory map -- stack problem.

William A. Arbaugh writes:
 > The problem is that even with the stack at 9FF00 it's still below (higher
 > address) than the code
 > section located at 98000. This only gives you roughly 32kb for BOTH stack
 > and code.  The code
 > grows down and the stack grows up. If both grow enought, they collide. This
 > is what caused my problem.  The stack by convention is usually above the
 > code section to prevent this.

This has been a known problem for quite a while. I would have changed
it long ago, if only it did not cause incompatibilities with the
format specifications at
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~slugeb/etherboot/doc/html/spec-4.html

I do not think that there is an easy way around these limitations
short of modularizing the image using a technique that is similar to
"overlays" back from the old days when people were still using 64kB
memory models.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature