Re: Problem with DOS, ok with Linux

There are quite a few motherboards that do not reset properly when rebooted.
They *have* to powered off and on to work properly. These are not always the
cheapo boards; I have a no-name 486/ISA, and no-name 386/ISA, a Compaq 486/PCI,
and a Compaq 6000 Pentium/PCI that do not reset cleanly. Some never reset, some
do it sometimes. In one case at least I am sure that it is the PCI network
interface that is not resetting, rather than the motherboard.

On 08-Dec-97 Alexander Keller wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Gero Kuhlmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Alexander Keller <keller@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> > After creating a DOS-bootimage according to
>> > INSTALL (from a floppy, just formated /s and tested), changing the
>> > bf=... statement to the new bootimage I tried to boot DOS.
>> >
>> > The bootimage was correctly loaded by tftp but not executed.
>> > Both of the systems hang (3Com Card and NE2000 card) after
>> > displaying a message.
>>
>> What message is it? What kind of DOS are you using (MS-DOS, DR-DOS, OpenDos,
>> FreeDos), and what version is it? So far, mknbi-dos has only been tested with
>> MS-DOS, version 5.x and higher. Older versions are not supported (4.x and
>> earlier are missing some features required by the mknbi-dos loader). FreeDos
>> definitely doesn't work, and probably never will. Regarding DR-DOS and
OpenDos
>> (which are IMHO the same) I have no reports about their compatibility with
>> mknbi-dos.
>>
>The message is similar to: executing dosimage....or something like that
>
>I tried to install the latest netboot package
>again on another server (my linux laptop)
>and had the same problems with another client (486 DX 66,3COM CARD).
>Linux works without any problems, the dos image is transferred to the
>client, a message about executing follows and then the system hangs.
>
>I have tried different DOS-boot disks,
>MS-DOS 6.22 created with format a: /s
>an Win95 created the same way.
>
>Who knows help??