Re: Problem with DOS, ok with Linux

Hello,

Alexander Keller <keller@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> By running ./configure I got the following error:
> -----------------
> checking for correct version of as86... 00011
> [...]
> no
> configure: warning: Can't compile i86 modules, using default
> ------------------
> The remaining part of the script produced no more error so I
> installed netboot according to INSTALL.

You can safely ignore this warning. It just says that you don't have the
latest as86 installed. That's not a problem because all assembler modules
are provided precompiled, so there is no need to reassemble them. It's
just not nice to have all this garbage error messages on the screen. I'll
have to play a little bit with configure to avoid this.

> After creating a DOS-bootimage according to
> INSTALL (from a floppy, just formated /s and tested), changing the
> bf=... statement to the new bootimage I tried to boot DOS.
>
> The bootimage was correctly loaded by tftp but not executed.
> Both of the systems hang (3Com Card and NE2000 card) after
> displaying a message.

What message is it? What kind of DOS are you using (MS-DOS, DR-DOS, OpenDos,
FreeDos), and what version is it? So far, mknbi-dos has only been tested with
MS-DOS, version 5.x and higher. Older versions are not supported (4.x and
earlier are missing some features required by the mknbi-dos loader). FreeDos
definitely doesn't work, and probably never will. Regarding DR-DOS and OpenDos
(which are IMHO the same) I have no reports about their compatibility with
mknbi-dos.

> An newer first_c.c:
> http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/archive/msg00170.html
>
> couldn't solve the problem to.

This patch is only necessary for older netboot versions. For 0.7.2 you
should use the first_c.c, which is provided in the package.

gero.

--
The experimenter who does not know what he is looking for will not understand
what he finds.			- Claude Bernard