Re: bootprom for intel etherexpress PCI100+

Erik Starback wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Does anybody know what prom type Intel etherexpress 100+ uses. If I have
> get everything right, it supports some kind of flash prom. Can I burn it
> with some simple DOS (or linux) program? It would be nice to avoid
> primitive EPROM burners.
>
> I'm thinking of buy a couple (40) of diskless Linux-PCs, and if IEE PCI
> 100+ doesn't have the feature mentioned, then I don't know what network
> adapter to buy. Can anybody give me a hint: 3C905XL, DEC2114*, IEE PCI
> 100+ or something else. Easy maintaining and stability is much more
> important than speed.

Hi,

I wrote the etherboot-driver for the Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B card.
I was told that a 28C257 chip works. From the number I vaguely get the
hunch that this is a flash chip. I haven't the foggiest how to program
it on the board: I haven't ever had a PROM on the card......

(My client just asked the prom-provider to program "this binary image"
into the PROM. They asked "what the hell is a binary image? We don't
know that format." and I provided an Intel Hex format file for the
image, and it seems that the resulting proms worked flawlessly from
there on.)

Intel Still hasn't gotten around to allowing me to sign the NDA, and
I'm not chasing them anymore, as the project is "done". I expect the
82557 programming manual to say something about how to program the
flash, but they won't send me that without the above NDA.

				Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a