Re: Remote booting without bootp

Venkatesh. K writes:
 > I would like to remote boot our diskless nodes from
 > linux server using netboot.
 >
 > I would like to avoid using bootp daemon as we have 60 machines and
 > maintaining hardware addresses is troublesome (there is no full time
 > sysadmin).
 >
 > I would like to know whether it is possibe to burn IP address info
 > into the bootrom itself.

I guess, it should be very easy to modify the source code, so that
BOOTP is never used. Just replace etherboot's "bootp()" function in
"src/main.c" with a function that returns a constant block of data.

While this change is rather straight forward, I cannot see why it
should require less administrative overhead than setting up a BOOTP
server once. There really isn't very much magic to getting a BOOTP
server up and going; and once it is configured properly, you will
never have to touch it again until you reconfigure your network
(e.g. move IP addresses, move server, add segments, add clients, ...).

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature