Re: Remote booting without bootp

At 03:51 PM 9/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Venkatesh. K writes:
> > I would like to remote boot our diskless nodes from
> > linux server using netboot.
> >
> > I would like to avoid using bootp daemon as we have 60 machines and
> > maintaining hardware addresses is troublesome (there is no full time
> > sysadmin).
> >
>I guess, it should be very easy to modify the source code, so that
>BOOTP is never used. Just replace etherboot's "bootp()" function in
>"src/main.c" with a function that returns a constant block of data.
>
>While this change is rather straight forward, I cannot see why it
>should require less administrative overhead than setting up a BOOTP
>server once. There really isn't very much magic to getting a BOOTP
>server up and going; and once it is configured properly, you will
>never have to touch it again until you reconfigure your network
>(e.g. move IP addresses, move server, add segments, add clients, ...).

As advised by you I went ahead and setup BOOTP server. I realise it
is easier to setup BOOTP server.

I wish to give the users options of booting from Netware server or
Linux server. How can it be done ?.

Sorry for my snail mail. My ISP had problems with POP/SMTP server.

Tons of thanks for making my life easier.

Regards,

Venkatesh. K