Re: Problems with netboot 0.7.2

Hello,

Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
>   I've just downloaded the latest packet driver from ftp.smc.com and
> am trying to build boot image with it. I'm not having much sucess. I
> specify "user defined packet driver" and give it the full pathname,
> but no matter what set of arguments I provide for the packet driver,
> it doesn't work. If I don't specify the software interrupt, I get an
> error message from the SMC packet driver and "PKTDRV ERROR: no int"
> when I boot the image. With any of the following command lines, I get
> an "PKTDRV ERROR: Invalid PKTDRVR" error:
> -d 0x62
> -d 0x7e
> -d -i 0x62
> -d 0x62 0x280 5 0xcc00
>
> although the packet driver identifies itself (v11.50).
>
> It appears as if the bootp packet driver client code does not
> recognise the packet driver.

Well, this is the pkt8000.com which definitely works, because I'm using it
as well in one of my clients. You should never use the "-d" option with
this packet driver. The documentation says that it is required for boot
rom operation, but that's only for IPX bootroms, not for netboot. Please
see the INSTALL file, line 428ff. which also describes this. I should pro-
bably add this also to the PROBLEMS FAQ file.

BTW: did you run "make install" after compiling netboot? If yes, you just
need to copy pkt8000.com into /usr/local/lib/netboot/pktdrvr and makerom
will automatically display this packet driver in it's menu and configure
it for you. You don't have to specify anything for this driver, which
according to SMC should work for almost all ISA SMC cards. So, basically
you only need to burn one EPROM and can then plug it into almost any ISA,
EISA and microchannel card made by SMC.
If you did not globally install everything then you will have to specify
the full path name of the driver using the "user defined packet driver"
menu option and give it "0x62" or any other valid software interrupt number
on the command line - nothing else. Especially, do NOT use ANY of the
options for this driver starting with a minus, like "-d". With this option
the packet driver delays its initialization until the first packet type
is registered. Since the bootrom requires some packet driver data earlier
in it's initialization phase, it's request for information to the packet
driver will fail.

gero.

--
Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and
because it has fresh peaches in it.		- Alice Walker