Re: DNS & extension file

Lluis Alfons =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ari=F1o?= Martin writes:

 > >did you create the extension file (using bootpef)?
 > >
 > >Heinrich Rebehn
 > >

 >         I've no problem setting up the clients or generating the clients extension files, let me explain :
 >
 >                 If ( TAG ef is present at /etc/bootptab ) then
 >
 >                         bootptest -h server.ip DOESN'T return DNS'S IP
 >
 >                 else
 >
 >                         bootptest -h server.ip RETURN ALL THE DNS's IP atc /etc/bootptab
 >
 >                 end

Does "bootptest" correctly evaluate the "ef" tag? Once you start using
extension files, you effectively have a two step process for loading
the BOOTP data. The first request is the usual BOOTP request; in
response to it, you get part of the data back (the BOOTP-daemon gets
to decide, which part this is, but usually it decides correctly). The
second request is a TFTP transfer; in response you get all the
remaining data back. The client (i.e. "bootptest" in your case) has to
assemble both responses to form a full block of data. The data that
you receive via TFTP is contained in the extension files, which you
need to create with "bootpef" prior to starting the daemons. You need
to install both a BOOTP- and a TFTP-daemon. Both daemons must have
access to the same directories (or you have to play tricks with
"chroot", when configuring your system).

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature