Re: DNS & extension file

Art Hurst writes:
 > 	I just had a run in with bootptab and found that the length of the
 > string (ie bf=xxxxxx) was critical. As I recall 22 characters worked and
 > 23 didn't. I had specified a complete path to the file. When I used hd=
 > and set the path in that variable and only the filename in the bf=
 > parameter things started to work. I spent a day chasing that one! I had
 > added one letter to the boot file's name and things suddenly didn't work
 > but I thought it was something else I had done.

The space in the first BOOTP block is extremely short. This is an
unfortunate limitation of the BOOTP protocoll. Ideally, it should
contain only the name of the extension file and whatever IP addresses
are required to access this file. If you use extension files, then
this will (usually) work as desired; unless you specify *very* long
filenames.

If you are stuck, it does help to look at the exact contents of the
response block (e.g. using tcpdump). You will need to read RFC951,
RFC1497, and RFC1533 to fully understand the data in the BOOTP
block. You can this information on ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/doc/rfc
(or from every other major FTP server, that carries RFC documents).

Good luck,

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature