Re: Booting Win95 with etherboot & samba.

  markus :

  > Andreas Kostyrka writes:
  >> I would need to boot a Windows95 client discless. (This is
  >> possible, I've not believed it myself, but my university is using
  >> NT servers. And it's not that important to me as to install this
  >> ugly duck anywhere here *grin* (eNTe is actually the german word
  >> for duck *grin*))
  >>
  >> Is it possible to boot off a linux system using etherboot?
  >> *wonder*

  > I have heard different reports about the feasibility of booting
  > Win95. As I do not have access to Win95 myself (come to think of
  > it, currently I do not have access to any computer of my own,
  > because I just moved to the U.S.), I cannot test this feature.

  > I would very much appreciate, if you just tried if it was working
  > and then let us know. Quite possibly, there are only minor changes
  > that need to be done to get it working. IIRC, Win95 has special
  > restrictions on the exact contents of the CPU registers when its
  > boot code gets executed. If you have experience with debugging
  > programs, it should not be too difficult to figure this out.

  > I am sorry, that I cannot be of more help, but I it will probably
  > be a few more months until I can actively continue developing
  > "etherboot".
[deleted]

It is possible to boot Windows 95 diskless, but buggy. There are two
problems to be overcome:

- get a bootprom to boot Windows without harddisk. This is
doable/has been done by commercial vendors.

- Get Windows 95 to "do the right thing" after the boot, which would
be to access the registry over the network. This is also possible
but only via NetBEUI (this is the reason a setup with Windows NT
works) or IPX. This unfortunately eliminates Samba as a network server
(TCP only).

--

Joerg Lenneis

University of Economics and Business Administration
Department for Applied Statistics and Data Processing
Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria

Tel. *43/1/31336 4758
email: lenneis@wu-wien.ac.at