Re: Problems with etherboot and Boot prompt.

Andrew Coulthurst writes:
| Do you have your patches for the exit() problem ? ( The one that allows a
| Win98 floppy to boot if you answer 'N' ? )

These have been posted on the Etherboot page.

I'm also looking at the "netboot" code to see if I can figure out how
to boot a disk directly since I couldn't get that to work with
"etherboot" and Win98.

| BTW With the Intel 10/100B which chip are you using , the 82557 or the new
| 82558 ? , are you using the patches by me - or does it work without the
| patches ?. I'm trying to decide if the 10/100B driver is good enough ( it
| is for me - but I only use it in one machine ) or if it should somehow be
| updated to come in line with recent kernels.

Yes, I'm using your patches.  Didn't try without them.

The old 2 chip card.  I haven't tried the new 1 chip card yet.  We
have them here except I don't have one yet.  So far my experience with
FreeBSD is they just work.  I did run into one problem with the 3.2 era
stuff in that it didn't work with 2 cards in it.  I forget the details
with 2 cards, hopefully today I'll get my 2nd card back and try it out
since I need to get it to work.

I'd say the driver is pretty good except for the 2 card problem.  BTW I use
the Intel 10/100 card setup with an industrial PC setup.  Inside the case
we have 4 single board PICMG cards (ISA and PCI combo board) with a 4 segment
PCI/ISA back plane.  I have only 4G disk drive on one machine and then
have the 3 other netboot of the server machine over 100BaseT.  They
boot up pretty fast over 100BaseT!  I've been using this for a couple
of months without any trouble.  We then have some DEC based ethernet cards
to test routing of our product.  This makes the adminstration of the
4 systems trivial.

Doug A.