Re: Slow booting with Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B

Questions.

1. Does the card perform flawlessly from an O.S. ?
   Try doing an ftp and see if you get acceptable transfer rates.
   ( As an example I usually get about 4-8Mbytes a second ).

2. Are you using a 100 hub - or are you using a back to back cable.
   Only asking because I've had terrible problems with back to back.

3. Are you using the latest tftpd ?

4. Is the network heavily loaded ?

5. Is the server upto the job in hand ?

As a final ( but useless comment ) it works okay for me with the same
network card as you - indeed I can download a 400k kernel + 2.5Mbyte
ramdisk and boot to a linux prompt in about 6 seconds on a 486AMD133
client. ( Most time spent uncompressing the Ramdisk )

But in conclusion all I can say is that it looks like the client is
timing out. ( Actually tftp is a little notorious for this - but I don't
think it should be as bad as your information suggests ).

Andy.