RE: Netboot Windows 95 info

---Reply on mail from Shawn Barnhart about Netboot Windows 95 info
> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Martin Joachim Wolf wrote:
>
> !I ask you to send me your bookmark-file ;-)))
> !I think, there are a lot of people being interested in "new" information
> !of all kinds of netbooting; and I for example do collect every page/text
> !with easy and excellent explanations on a few linux-topics like ppp, isdn,
> !netboot, ...
> !This does not mean that the wellknown homepages of netboot/etherboot are
> !bad (I have a copy of all of them), I'm only looking for some different
> !way's of explaining the same thing; this makes things often more easy
> !understandable for beginners (like me) ;-))
> !Would be great if everybody would publish his (favorite) links; we could
> !make a "link-mail" or a new link-page.
>
> I'd like to see some pages on netbooting Win95 as well.   Everytime I've
> looked into this, the docs refer to "netsetup.exe" a file that apparently
> resides on the upgrade/full install CDs from MS for Win95A.  I've got
> several upgrade CDs, and *none* of them have that file, which makes the docs
> that I've run across useless.  It seems like that file was only on certain
> select versions of Win95A upgrade & full install CDs, and on none of the OEM
> disks.  MS says it won't work with 95b, either.
>

> --
> Shawn Barnhart
> swb@mercury.campbell-mithun.com

True enough there is no netsetup in OSR2 OEM version, but there is netsetup.exe
in OSR950 - the original retail version. What I have tried is to copy
all the files in admin/nettools/netsetup to local hard and run from there.
When prompt, you insert OSR2 version and it will get install to the server.
There are additional files, so it is neccesary to ether edit netsetup.inf,
prior to install or extract the additional files after install. The extract
command therefore comes in handy.

>From what I have gathered, it's nealy imposible to remote Win 95, if the
workstation is completely diskless:- without a real mode 16 bits network support.
For diskless operation, it needs a real mode 16 bits network stacks, excluding
16 bit MS-TCPIP because they are incompatiable with 32 bits virtual mode in
Windows envroment. So there are NetBeui, IPX to choose from. IPX is very
common. I started to remote boot wfw311 from NFS, IPX (Mars_Nwe on Linux):
a Novell Netware 3.12 emulator, I have yet to be suceesful to remote boot
a win95 from this emulator ( may be i should go for a real Netware server?),
even there is no problem with setup, i.e using the directory create by the
netsetup.

If anyone has any success in the same or nearly the same line as I have
done, please contact me, thanks.

p.k.wong